Urban Sketchers

Urban Sketchers network
I'm an urban sketcher

Monday 20 May 2013

Rain, rain ... Indoors at Shelmerdines

On Saturday morning, I decided to take my sketching bag to Shelmerdine's. Garden Centers are such nice places to visit this time year. They are filled with an array of fresh and colorful new plants. I arrived early and started outdoors. I'm crazy about willows and decided to go through the willows to the field next door. My first really quick watercolor sketch was of the Shelmerdine building through the willows. It was starting to drizzle so I had to work quickly. You can see where the water was hitting my paper 

For my second sketch, I went indoors and found a quiet corner in the store where I had a view of plants through an entranceway. Although I thought I was out of the way, I had to move a few times to let plant shoppers get through with their cart. I drew this sketch with one of my Pitt pens and decided to add a bit of color so I bought a coffee and sat down at one of the tables in their little coffee shop. One of the special experiences about sketching and painting on location is the people you meet. While I was sitting there, I had three people "drop by" and talk to me. The first was another customer, the second was one of the two people working the coffee bar and third was Eileen Korponay who is a local artist that we all know.

The next CAG sketchout is back at the Forks on Monday, May 27. I look forward to going back there.
Shelmerdines through the Willows

The plants through an Entrance Way

No comments:

Post a Comment