Urban Sketchers

Urban Sketchers network
I'm an urban sketcher

Monday 17 June 2013

St. Boniface Cathedral

Today started out as one of those glorious beautiful days. The sun was shining with a slight breeze. Charleswood Art Group members were to meet at the St. Boniface Cathedral for 10:00am. I wanted to work with my oil paints today so I arrived earlier and was set up to paint for 9:00am. Today I brought along a piece of Arches oil paper to try. The old façade of the cathedral that remains is a stunning piece of architecture. It has a large circular opening in the upper part through which the blue sky was visible. The whole cathedral façade is too large a subject so I chose to focus on the doorway openings. The copper roofing of the newer structure was visible through the doorways and slashes of light were hi-lighting the steps. What was interesting to me also was that the façade circular opening showed up on the front lawn as an elliptical hi-light. I really enjoyed my painting time today. After 10:00am a few different student and tourist groups came to the cathedral for a tour. A few dropped by to see what I was painting.

Besides myself, Ruth, Anita and Ginette came out today. They chose to start with watercolor sketches of the Human Rights Museum and some later sketches of the cathedral façade. After sketching/painting, the plan was to have lunch at Chez Sophie. Unfortunately ... just call me stupid while packing her art supplies in the trunk, locked her keys inside. I had to sit and wait an hour for CAA to get me into my car so I could retrieve my keys. Because of this, I also didn't get photos of anyone else's sketches. I hope the rest of the group enjoyed their lunch!

Learning Lesson of the day: Always make sure you have your hands on your car keys or at least make sure you put them away. At least I had my phone with me to call CAA.

St. Boniface Cathedral

No comments:

Post a Comment