Urban Sketchers

Urban Sketchers network
I'm an urban sketcher

Tuesday 16 April 2013

Is this really in Winnipeg?

Today our sketching destination was Sturgeon Creek.  It was overcast when we headed out just before 10:30, but just after we started sketching/painting our scene, the sun came out and there was a small patch of blue sky.  We parked on the south side of Portage in the church lot so that's where we went down the bank to the creek.  What a beautiful view! ... and you could hear the water bubbling over the rocks across the creek. The second location we chose was standing on the bridge looking the other direction. Bridges are a great place to paint from as they give you a view where you're looking down and something to lean your sketch pad against as you work.
Working on the bridge was particularly satisfying ... while we were working, a pair of Canada Geese gently dropped down right in front of us on the water.  Not too many minutes later, my painting partner noticed a little creature making its way down a little path on the other side of the bank.  We weren't sure what it was but it must have been a member of the mink or marten family as it had a long sleek body.

What a great outing this was ... it's hard to believe you're in the city when you are down beside one of these creeks.  It also occurred to me that spring can be one of the best times to see wildlife as they are out and about due to it being mating season and before the heat takes them to shelter.

The photos below are of the two views we sketched and painted followed by one of my sketches. As you can see from the photo of my sketch, I didn't push color or darks nearly enough. I'll use the still fairly cold weather and my "photo gray" lenses in my glasses as an excuse for my weak sketch.  I will do better next time.  I could have touched it up at home but wanted to preserve what I had recorded "en plein-air".

Our next planned outing is this Friday at Fort Whyte with the expected temperature being two degrees above zero. I feel some urgency to capture the spring snow before it disappears.

View from the bridge
Notice the rocks across the creek

My too pallid sketch!


No comments:

Post a Comment