Urban Sketchers

Urban Sketchers network
I'm an urban sketcher

Tuesday 7 January 2014

Sketching fellow artists

It's been too long since I sketched and posted here. We have had a particularly long stretch of unrelenting cold weather in Winnipeg which is much more conducive to hibernating indoors than heading out to sketch. Also, the Christmas holiday season with it's accompanying mayhem works against any creative interests. But ... it's now 2014 and it's time to shake out of the seasonal blues associated with weather and the holiday season.

The first Charleswood Art Group was yesterday and the planned activity for the handful of people that came out was to watch instructional art DVDs. I could have sat like a lump with my Starbucks latte but decided to pull put my sketchbook and sketch what was right in front of me.  My fellow artgroup members sitting relatively still glued to the computer monitor made great subject matter. I started with sketching Rosanna, then I added Donna, then Jim and finally Monica. I continue to be amazed how easy things are if you can only just get started. I continued to add more line, tried to connect the figures in some way and finished with a bit of color. It was so much fun!

I have considered the idea of starting to sketch from the TV. If I'm going to spend so much time indoors and in front of the TV in the evening then why not have the remote ready to pause on a TV scene that grabs my interest. All that's needed is to have my "sketch bag" sitting right where I sit to watch TV and get started.

Charleswood Art Group Members

No comments:

Post a Comment